You can stop the pain of depression. You are not alone.
You may feel helpless, like there is no way out and you can’t seem to see a light at the end of the tunnel. You might be losing sleep and you could also be having troubles with your eating habits. You find yourself not motivated to do anything, and when you are doing something, it takes all the energy out out of you. You are likely feeling down and upset.
Depression can be debilitating. It might even be a struggle for you to just get out of bed.
Depression doesn’t discriminate – from children to the elderly, feeling low is a universal part of the human condition. However, when those feelings impact your ability to live life to the fullest though, it’s time to seek professional support.
Whatever your severity of depression, as a therapist I can help you..
Common symptoms of depression include:
- Frequent crying and overwhelming feelings of sadness.
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Feeling emotionally flat or numb
- Feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness.
- Disturbances to normal sleep patterns
- Poor physical health
- Diminished interest or pleasure in activities.
- Unexplained physical ailments such as headaches or muscle pain
- Diminished ability to concentrate or think
- Significant decrease or increase in weight
- Recurrent thoughts of death and suicidal thinking or behavior
- Depressed mood
- Loss of sexual interest
- Physical aches and pains
There are a number of possible causes of depression. Some people have a genetic predisposition to depression, which can then be triggered by a stressful situation in life.
Depression can also be caused by:
- A reaction to a distressing situation like an accident or pro-longed stress from work
- Bereavement or loss of a loved one
- Major life changes such as moving away or losing a job
- No obvious trigger – sometimes you may be affected so much that you don't know exactly what is causing it
- Isolation or loneliness
- Substance abuse
- Traumatic experiences in childhood leading to a negative way of seeing yourself and the world.
If you struggle with any of the above signs of depression, the good news is that counselling is highly effective.
Studies show that therapeutic interventions for severe depression have an 80% success rate, with mild to moderate depression being even higher.
As a counsellor I can help you:
- Feel happier about yourself and your life
- Feel empowered and in control of your emotions
- Have a more focused and clearer train of thought
- Feel motivated for the things you once loved doing
- Achieve goals that you felt you were incapable of
- Be equipped with a resilient mindset to overcome any future challenges
- Create positive relationships
- Become more social and apart of your community
- Enjoy life again
You can overcome this. As your therapist, I utilize proven methods of therapy including Mindfulness-Based Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy, with clients generally reporting significant improvement in depressive symptoms after 4 to 6 sessions.
Together, we will find the best ways to help you develop a more satisfying and fulfilling life.
Contact me for a complimentary 15 minute phone consultation using the number below. We’ll then determine how I can help you with counselling either in my Menai practise or from the comfort of your own home by Skype sessions.
Remember, depression is treatable and effective treatments are available at Empower You Counselling. The earlier you seek support, the better.